Location: Chula Vista (20 Miles / 25 Minutes Southeast of Downtown San Diego)
Open Daily: 9AM – 4:30PM; Guided Tours Available Weekdays
Cost: Starting at $5.
Features: Tour the Only Year-Round U.S. Olympic Training Center
U.S. Olympic Training Center Tour Highlights: There are three Olympic Training Centers operated by the United States Olympic Committee. One is located in the southeastern area of San Diego. [Update: In 2016, ownership of the facility was turned over to the City of Chula Vista and they've contracted with Elite Athlete Services to operate the facility.] The others are located in Lake Placid, NY and Colorado Springs, CO. Take this unique opportunity to visit the Olympic Village where you will see athletes training for nine Olympic Sports. They include Archery, Kayaking, Cycling, Field Hockey, Rowing, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, and Track & Field. The Center also hosts other Olympic team members in need of general conditioning while their hometowns endure tough weather conditions or when they need to avoid distractions as they prepare for events.
- Wear comfortable shoes since there will be a lot of walking.
- If you are visiting during the summer, it is sometimes much hotter at the Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista than it is along the San Diego coast. Wear your sunscreen and plan appropriately. You can check the weather conditions by looking at the Inland Forecast.
- Sometimes, you will see a lot of athletes around, especially when the soccer and softball teams are practicing. Other times, you may see very few athletes.
- The Visitors Center has an auditorium where you will watch a video about the athletes in training.
- Guided Tours are offered weekdays. Self-guided tours are also available.
Food – There are several Retail Centers offering food options along Olympic Parkway as you head east to the Olympic Training Center. They include the Otay Ranch Town Center, which is about two miles west of the U.S. Olympic Center. It is located where the SR-125 Toll Road exits at Olympic Parkway.
Information on Visiting the U.S. Olympic Training Center
Directions from Google Maps to 2800 Olympic Parkway in Chula Vista, CA 91915. (Note that Google Maps places the marker a little west of the actual address. As you drive down Olympic Parkway, you will see the entrance on your right (south) side between Olympic Vista Road and Wueste Road.)
The fastest way to reach the Olympic Training Center is using SR-125 (South Bay Expressway) to reach Olympic Parkway. Note that this is a toll road. Tolls range from $2 – $3.75. Cash is accepted. You can also reach Olympic Parkway using freeway I-805. However, you will then need to drive 8 miles down Olympic Parkway, which includes access to a number of shopping centers and residential developments, making for a slower drive.
Traffic – Highway traffic is not bad during regular hours for reaching the U.S. Olympic Center. For those driving to the Olympic Training Center from the Olympic Parkway exit on I-805 (and the Orange Avenue exit from highway I-5), you will have a lot of stop and go traffic due to traffic lights. So, plan an extra 15 minutes if you do not use the toll road. (Learn more about getting San Diego traffic updates.)
Transit – Public transit is not available for the Olympic Training Center.