Location: Balboa Park (3 Miles East of Downtown San Diego)
Open Daily: Year-Round; Dawn – Dusk
Cost: $36 – $45; Discounts for Juniors, Twilight Play, and San Diego City Residents
Features: Municipal Golf Course offering Great Views of the City Skyline and San Diego Bay; Golf Club Rentals Available
Balboa Park Golf Course Highlights: Located in canyons on the eastern edge of downtown San Diego, the Balboa Park Golf Course provides easy access, low rates, and great views. The back nine in particular offer great views of the downtown skyline, the San Diego Bay, and Coronado Bridge.
What to Expect
- Golf is played year-round in San Diego. Read the description about San Diego weather for details on what to expect. During May and June expect it to be overcast during the morning hours and a little bit cooler than you might expect.
- Don’t be caught off-guard when silence on the golf course is broken as commercial jets fly low overhead on their approach for landing at the San Diego Airport.
- Don’t be surprised if you see some people dressed a little bit more casually than at most golf courses.
- You can also play a nine-hole executive golf course, which is part of the facility.
- There is a Golf Shop and a Coffee Shop.
Information on Playing the Balboa Park Golf Course
Fees (Costs are Approximate)
- Standard Green Fee Ranges from $36 – $45. Discounts are available for Juniors and Twilight play.
- City of San Diego Residents can obtain lower rates by purchasing a Resident I.D. Card.
- Rates do not include a golf cart, which is generally not required.
- Reservations can be made up to 7 days in advance.
- Golf Club Rentals are $20.
Directions from Google Maps to 2600 Golf Course Drive in San Diego, CA 92102.
Traffic – Traffic does slow down a little bit during the evening rush hour as you approach the downtown area using southbound SR-163. There is also a slight delay getting onto the SR-163 to head northbound after leaving the area. Otherwise, there are usually very few traffic problems getting to or leaving the Balboa Park Golf Course. (Learn how to get the latest traffic updates.)
Transit – Buses do get you within a quarter mile walk of the golf course. (See San Diego Transit Information for bus schedules and information for the online Transit Planner.)